W. Kitter was born on October 6, 1931, in G. Schläfken (Kreis Neidenburg),
East Prussia. When he was 10 years Old his family moved to Allenstein, East
The Russian army was within 5 miles from his home in 1944. That propmpted
his mother and three sisters to leave Allenstein. They boarded a cattle box
car to the state of Brandenburg. From there to Berlin, Leipzig and ended up
in Oelsnitz (State of Sachsen). A short time later the US Army came to town.
Curt‘s family moved, after the War ended in 1945, to Wolferschwenda in the
State of Thüringen. After a year time, Curt‘s dad and the family crossed
the border one by one to the American Zone to the City of Hamm in Westfalia.
A year later, Curt moved again to Lobberich (Nordrhein-Westfalen) and worked
for a brick factory. From there he started the process of coming to the
United States. He arrived in New York on January 23, 1953. After going
through the process of immigration, he took a train to Detroit. He did not
speak a word of English. In Detroit, he was picked up by his uncle, Arthur
MeyHofer. His first job was working at the Mt. Clemens Pottery Factory in
1953. At the same time he studied at the Eastside Design and Engineering
Institute in Detroit. His second job was making plastic panels for the 1st
Chevrolet Corvette until June 1954.
Curt married Jacqueline Philip Provost in Mt. Clemens on June 26, 1954. On
July 8, 1954, he was drafted into the US Army. After 8 weeks of basic
training he left for Frankfurt, Germany. He was assigned to the 4th infantry
division and was the driver for the division commander, a one star general.
Curt became an US citizen in Frankfurt, Germany, on June 28, 1955 and came
back to the US in June of 1956 with an honorable discharge. Upon his return
he started to work for Warren Plastic and Engineering and in 1956 for Fisher
Body, at the Technical Center in Warren. For seven years he worked in the
wood, metal and plastic shops. He continued his education to ultimately
become a car body designer. In 1959 he became a Jr. Detailer in Design and
Engineering at Fisher Body. Then in 1980 Curt advanced to Sr. Product
Engineer. He retired the after 32 years from the GM Tech Center (Fisher
Body Group), but continued as a contract employee for GM for 14 more years
and then retired from BOC in Flint.
Curt joined the Austrian Society in 1972. From 1973 to 1975 he worked with
Ulli Edelbacher on the Entertainment Committee. From 1975 until 1993 Curt
served Alex Suczek as assistant Polonaise Director of the Viennese Strauss
Ball. This allowed him to introduce the young people to a special part of
Austrian culture, the dancing of the Viennese Waltz. From 1993 until 2001
he worked with Zdzislawa Gumul as assistant director of the Viennese Strauss
Ball. From 1997 until 2011 Curt was the Strauss Ball coordinator.
He was elected assistant treasurer of the Austrian Society in 1975 & 1976.
In 1977 he was elected Treasurer, a position he is still holding today –
total of 35 years. He also held the job of Austrian Society Historian for
the last 20 to 25 years. He is Chairman of the Golden Eagle Committee since
1995. The honor of German American of the year was bestowed on him in 2007
by the GACC. Since 2004 he takes care of rentals in his position as Park
In 1976 he received a Certificate for participation in building a float for
the Austrian Cultural contribution to America for the 1976 Bicentennial
Parade in Detroit. In 1983 he was awarded the Austrian Society Gold Pin,
foolowed in 1986 Golden Eagle. 1996 brought him the Golden Medaille of the
Republic of Austria for promoting Austrian Culture in America. 1997 he
became Honorary Member of Austrian Society. In 1998 the Austrian Ski Club
honored him with the Gold Pin for 25 Years of membership.